Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Second Doctor ( 2nd Doctor )

I did my 2nd Doctor today. I like it, but would have liked checkered pants better. I've seen some great mini painters do quite detailed freehand clothing, and I tried to do some checkers at first, but my free-handing with very tiny lines was too rough, and I ended up giving him solid colour trousers. I'll have to practice that sort of thing a bit more at a later date. Anyway, here's a step-by-step painting the Black Tree 2nd Doctor.

Step 1: Undercoat in black

Step Two: pants in karak stone

step three: shirt in fenrisian grey (light blue)

recorder in screaming skull

skin in cadian fleshtone

handkerchief in white scar

jacket in very dark grey ( a colour I got a lot of in a sample pot from the hardware store. I got three shades of grey - dark, medium and light, in big sample pots, for just $8 each. Much cheaper than buying lots and lots of pots of miniatures paints. I use sample pots to get big amounts of paint for working on scenery, and use the dark grey paint as a base coat for black clothing now - after applying a black wash over it, the folds in the now-black clothing are automatically shaded.)

Put the blue (fenrisian grey) on the frilly cuffs of the shirt sleeves

Wash with nuln oil (black wash) to bring out all of the details. Note how the grey jacket now looks black, but the raised folds still show the dark grey, automatically highlighting the black jacket (instead of the whole thing being pitch black with no visible detail).



Once the wash has dried, all of the colours you painted are now shadowy. Take the original colours and paint back onto the model, to highlight the surfaces. Areas to paint again - the face (being sure to leave the recesses shaded) and up-facing sides of the model such as shoulders, tops of hands, collar of shirt, etc. Also highlight some of the folds in the pants to make them more visible and contrasty.
 Paint the shoes dark brown, with light brown on their top side, and stick on a base! Done!


1 comment:

  1. He looks great. Mr recent efforts to do similar where ok but it was alot of hard work and I still wasn't totally happy with it

    ReplyDelete